Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Poutine!

One of the greatest things about living in the midwest, particularly this close to Mars Cheese Castle in Kenosha, WI is the abundance of cheese. Seriously, I thought we were cheese crazy in California, but there's a reason they call those folks cheeseheads up there. I've had plain cheese curds, grilled cheese curds, even battered and deep fried cheese curds!

When I went through my vegan phase earlier this year (102 days thank you very much) cheese and pretty much all dairy products were what I missed more than the actual meat. Now that I'm no longer vegan, but have moved a couple thousand miles away from San Diego, the thing I miss most is Carne Asada French Fries - I know, it sounds like an abomination, but if you can picture a pile of french fries, piled high with seared steak, guacamole, sour cream, cheese, and salsa, you're halfway there. Seriously, they are one of God's great gifts to mortals and only available in San Diego, CA.

Anyway, since I can't get carne asada fries here, and since I am now a midwesterner for better or worse, I decided to try the canadian version of Carne Asada Fries... Poutine!

French Canadians go crazy for this stuff, which consists of french fries, brown gravy and cheese curds. I'm sure you could use regular cheese too, but I happen to have cousins from Ottowa, and they know what they are talking about.

First, you gotta double fry your french fries. I know, it's total fatty status but they will taste like the ones from Islands/Red Robin/In-N-Out and it makes a HUGE difference.


Toss on some cheese curds. I could only find yellow ones at my local cheese castle, but I think you're supposed to use white ones.


Top with a thick brown gravy - mine had mushrooms and soy sausage in it! Make sure it's boiling when you pour it over the cheese to melt the curds and turn the whole thing into the most amazing comfort food imaginable.


It's as easy as that. I know, it doesn't necessarily sound that good, but don't knock it until you've tried it. When I first heard about this stuff from my friend Norissa, I thought it sounded kind of questionable too. I am so very glad I made it though, and you will be too! Forget about French Canadians, and make it better at home!

Homemade Poutine

4-5 large russet potatoes
1/2 lb cheese curds or 8oz shredded cheese
1/2 cup flour
1 stick butter
1-2 cans cold beef stock
salt + pepper
mushrooms and sausage/soy sausage (optional)

Make your double-fried french fries first. Fry them once only until they are soft and semi-cooked. Drain them on paper towels and allow them to cool for 20-30 minutes before frying them again right before you're about to eat. I usually leave the skins on and fry them until they are a deep brown. Your fries will be better than any fast food or frozen fries you've ever had. 

Trust me on this one, I eat a lot of carbs.

Next, make some gravy starting with a simple roux. Melt your butter in a pan over medium heat, and dump in the flour all at once. Whisk rapidly until the whole thing has turned a light brown. Pour in your beef broth until the gravy has reached the right consistency. At this point you can add in cooked mushrooms, onions, soy sausage, etc...

After your gravy is done, assemble your poutine. I'd recommend eating only vegetables the next day. It's a pretty heavy dish. 

And, if poutine sounds like it might be a little too much for you to handle, at least double fry your french fries next time. You'll thank me.


No comments:

Post a Comment