Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Potato Potato Pie

Several years ago, during a random bout of insomnia, I learned two very important things:

1. If i go for too long without sleep i will start sneezing uncontrollably

2. How to make this sweet potato, potato "pie" thing

I was an undergrad in Los Angeles and funding was tight, but i still wanted to eat well, so this recipe fit the bill perfectly. It's been so long I don't even remember what program it was, i think it was on KPBS at some ungodly hour. I do remember that the program involved a couple of portly, middle-aged ladies, who laughed a lot and sipped wine while they cooked. I even googled it to see if it was online anywhere, but haven't been able to locate the program or the recipe.

Maybe the whole thing came to me in a dream?

Whatever it was, this recipe made such an impression on me, I've been making it ever since from memory.

It's the perfect autumn recipe, especially since most of us will be buying pumpkin pie spice soon.

After you make this, you'll probably want to give me a hug.

It's cheap, it's easy, and it looks pretty spiffy. Kinda like...

Wait.

It's also really delicious.

Anyway, let's get started.

First, slice up some yams and potatoes. I usually use Yukon Golds because of their buttery flavor, but I'm sure regular old Russets would do.


 Heat them up in a pan for a bit

Season aggressively

and bake!


I use a stainless steel pan for this, so i can put the whole thing in the oven right from the stove, but you can also use a pie pan or round cake pan and heat it up in the oven first before layering. The best part is that you can slice it like a pie once it's cooked.

*You can make this vegan by omitting the cheese and swapping butter for Earth Balance


Potato Potato "Pie"

2 large yams
4-6 gold potatoes
3/4 shredded parmesan
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
Pumpkin Pie Spice (nutmeg and/or cinnamon will work too)
salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 375

First, thinly slice the potatoes using either your mandolin or expert knife wielding skills.

In an oven-safe pan, melt the butter and begin placing the yams in a spiral, making sure to cover the entire bottom of the pan. Alternate, and place a layer of potatoes on next. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, some parmesan, and pumpkin pie spice, and drizzle with a bit of olive oil saving the rest for future layers.

Repeat this layering process, seasoning every other layer, until your pan is almost full.

(You want to leave the heat on medium/medium high while you are doing this so the bottom layer can crisp up and serve as a sort of crust. Also, make sure you sprinkle enough cheese between the layers, it will help them adhere to one another)

Turn off the heat, cover, and place the whole thing in the oven for 35-45 minutes until the potatoes are cooked through, the cheese has melted, and your kitchen smells awesome.

I generally let it cool down for 10-15 minutes so it sets up a bit and it easier to slice.

4 comments:

  1. Holy crap, Karim! I think this will be on the menu @ Thanksgiving and I will need to make it several times beforehand to make sure I have perfected it. Thanks love! I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oms Sara i would be so honored! i'd be even more honored if i could get the recipe for your sweet nutty dough balls *wink wink*

    ReplyDelete