Sunday, April 10, 2011

Caramelized Onion Apple & Asparagus Tart

**I didn't think to add apple until later

Oral arguments at the downtown courthouse are tomorrow. Am I ready? Sort of.
Tuesday is our group presentation about access to nutritious food in Chicago. Am I done? Not really.
Finals start in less than a month. Am I prepared? uh....

It's in the 80s today! Yes, 80+

In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have turned on the oven and heated up the whole house, but it was SO worth it. This tart takes some leftover fall flavors (apples and onions) and mixes them with a bright spring bite of asparagus.

I'm always drawn to items in bakeries made with puff pastry. Last time I was in Seattle, I spent nearly 40 bucks on a box of puff pastry related desserts and realized that I could probably make half the things in the box at home.

I looked at Whole Paycheck Foods recently, and they wanted 17 bones for a box of puff pastry. Really?

Luckily, on a recent trip to the outlet mall in Pleasant Prairie, WI I discovered a Pepperidge Farm puff pastry for two dollars. Yeah, a dollar a sheet. I bought several.

It's a super-easy recipe that looks and tastes way fancier than it really is.

Just shred some asparagus


Peel and slice an apple
And layer with some caramelized onions!


Apple Asparagus Tart with Caramelized Onions

1lb asparagus
2 large or 3 small onions
1 apple (I used a Braeburn, but a Granny Smith would probably be better)
1 sheet puff pastry
Olive Oil, Salt, Pepper

Preheat oven to 425

Set the puff pastry out to thaw. Once it's softened a bit, cut a 1/2 inch border around the perimeter to it can puff up and make a crust.

Next, thinly slice and caramelize the onions in some olive oil over medium low. This'll take a good 20-30 minutes. 

In the meantime shred the asparagus with a potato peeler to get long ribbons. Also peel and thinly slice the apple. 

Cook the apple for 1-2 minutes on each side in some olive oil over medium head to soften them and get some of the moisture out. Remove apples, turn off the heat, and toss the asparagus in the leftover oil so it warms up and softens.

Once the onions are done, layer the apples first, then the onions, and finally the asparagus staying inside the border you cut earlier.

Bake at 425 for 18-20 minutes and you'e set!

1 comment: