Wednesday, September 1, 2010

I heart pie


I ate 1/4 of a pie for breakfast.

I'm not proud.

It was staggeringly, swelteringly, suffocatingly hot last night, and being the pie addict I am, I needed something to satisfy my sweet tooth without having to heat up the entire kitchen.

Cue Joy the Baker and her take on Martha Stewart's No-bake Peanut Butter Tart.

Bless. Her. Heart.

Seriously. This is better than the peanut butter pie I used to order at Denny's all the time when I was in high school. Not that Denny's is known for being an authority on pies or anything, but I was a fat kid in high school and that pie was freaking delicious.

Here's my take on a classic. I've modified the recipe a bit, mostly because I'm lazy and don't have a stand mixer.



Peanut Butter Pie

Crust
2 cups crushed cookies (Nilla Wafers, Marias, Graham Crackers, Oreos)
1 stick butter, melted

Filling
1 1/4 cups creamy peanut butter
1 small can sweetened condensed milk
1 tub cool whip, divided
1 8 oz. block of cream cheese, softened

First, make the crust. Crush the cookies as best you can in your hands, and finish them up with a rolling pin. You can also stick them in a big ziploc bag and smash them with a wine bottle. Not that I've done that before, I'm just giving you options.

Once they're smashed up and you have about 2 cups, pour them into a 9" pie plate. Pour on the butter and mix the whole thing up really well before patting it down to form a nice crust. Stick the crust in the freezer so the butter can re-solidify while you make the filling.

In a large bowl, mix together the peanut butter, condensed milk, and cream cheese with a wooden spoon until the whole thing is well combined. Next, fold in the 3/4 of the Cool Whip and pour the mixture into the crust.

Top with the remaining Cool Whip, and chill the pie in the fridge for about 2 hours or the freezer for 45 minutes before eating.

3 comments: